Standard Disclosure: In order to support my blogging activities and provide free content on this blog, I may receive a commission if you purchase from the links in this post.
I don’t often post about blogging and other business, but today I am going to stray from my usual topics. I wanted to take a few minutes to let you know WHY I started a blog in the first place.
Even before my husband and I got married, we talked about our shared desire to have me stay at home when we had children. This was very important to us and from the start, we made many of our financial decisions based on this. We saved much of our income when we were first married and had two full-time incomes coming in.
We now live primarily on one income. It’s not always easy and we have to make sacrifices often.
While I have been home for the last 5 years, I have been blessed with a few side projects (many with my previous employer) over the years. With each temporary job, we put the income in savings. The savings has helped with medical bills, car and home repairs, and other things outside our day-to-day living expenses. We have also been able to build up our children’s education fund, as our main goal is to pay for a Christian education for them. (A majority of our financial decisions are made with this sole goal in mind – their Christian education.)
I started my blog two years ago for two main reasons.
- I wanted to create an early morning habit and the blog held me accountable to waking up early.
- I wanted to find a way to contribute financially to our family, to build our savings, and to grow our daughters’ education fund. I was only looking to do something flexible that would allow me to “work” completely on my own schedule. Blogging is not typically a fast way to make money, but I knew that there was potential in it if I was willing to put in the time and effort.
Here is the thing: I would NEVER have thought of myself as an entrepreneur. I never thought of myself as creative. I never considered owning a business or making income on the side.
Shortly after I started blogging, I realized that I enjoy this! I was excited with the potential that working online has. There is SO much to learn, but I love researching and learning. I quickly found that my favorite parts of blogging include the design, the back-end of the site, strategy, connecting with other bloggers, and learning. The actual writing part is further down the list!
- Have you ever considered starting a blog?
- Do you currently have a blog?
- Do you have dreams to work from home?
- Do you want to take your current blog to the next level?
- Do you desire to make money on the side while staying at home?
- Do you have a small side business, but want to know how to take it up a notch by adding a blog to help your business?
If this is you, I want to share a few free resources with you. The resources are from Ruth Soukup of Living Well Spending Less and Elite Blog Academy.
Goal Setting Workbook for Bloggers
Blog Structure Blueprint
7 Surefire Ways to Boost Your Blog Income Overnight
Sign up to be notified with Elite Blog Academy is open for enrollment. It’s just once per year!
If you want to see what the process of setting up a blog is like: check out my step-by-step guide here. I have used Bluehost for my blog for almost 2 years now and have been 100% happy with them! Just a few days ago, I renewed for another two years.
You can also check out my list of Blogging Tools & Resources to see what I currently use on my blog.
Sign up for my Blogging Tips & Resources Newsletter.
If you have considered starting a blog, I invite you to start one today. Make sure you share your blog name with me so I can check it out!
Stop by to see where I link-up my posts each week: Link-Up List