When I first came across protein bites (or protein balls), I was hooked. They taste like a treat, but are made with healthy ingredients. They are filling. I can also put them into my children’s lunches and the small bites are so packed that they actually fill them up.
But I did run into a problem. If you don’t get the right consistency (which would happen when I try to add in even healthier ingredients), they can be impossible to roll into balls. I have ended up with a bowl of protein bite mix in my refrigerator, only to have it never get rolled into balls. We still eat it because it’s tasty, but it’s not super convenient to dig into the bowl for a crumbly spoonful.
Once I realized I could just make them into protein bars, I was set! I then had more flexibility to mess with the ingredients and it always seemed to work out. And…NO MORE rolling them into balls so this is a major timesaver. Energy Bite Protein Bars are such a quick and easy snack.
Here is what I made with my 4-year old today:
A quick note on the ingredients:
- Oats – I used old-fashioned oats
- Peanut butter – You can also sub this for almond butter or your favorite butter (Note: The other butters should work. I have not tried them.)
- Protein Powder – I used my favorite vanilla protein powder. You can grab it HERE. You can grab an extra freebie if you try my favorite this month. More info below.
- Chocolate Chips – Use regular size or mini, depending on your preference. I used Trader Joe’s Organic Completely Cacao Chips. They are unsweetened. Feel free to use semi-sweet if you want them sweeter.
- Optional substitution: Sub M&Ms for some or all of the chocolate chips.
Recipe for Energy Bite Protein Bars:
2 cups peanut butter
2/3 cup honey
4 cups oats
3 scoops vanilla protein powder
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cups chocolate chips
- Combine peanut butter and honey in microwave-safe bowl. Melt for 45 seconds and stir together.
- Add vanilla.
- Mix in oats and protein powder.
- Add chocolate chips and mix.
- Press batter into pan. (I used my 10×15 inch Pyrex.)
- Place in freezer until hardened.
- Cut into bars!
Grab my favorite vanilla protein here!
Leave a Reply