Get your styling fee waived! Why try it out when you have to pay for it?
Special Promo November 2017:
Your 1st Styling Fee is FREE!
I have always been intrigued with Stitch Fix. I shop infrequently (well…practically never these days!). So the idea of having a box of 5 hand-selected pieces of clothing and accessories show up on my doorstep sounds like a good idea. Because much of my current wardrobe includes basics from Target, the idea of a few fun extra pieces sounds nice.
I typically have three little sidekicks with me when I shop. Most of my clothing shopping includes grabbing a few articles of clothing at Target before I head over to the baby or grocery section. I then bring the clothing home with me to try on and often have to head back to return what doesn’t fit. It’s super efficient. ;)
Standard Disclosure: In order to support my blogging activities and provide free content on this blog, I may receive a commission if you purchase from the links in this post.
I heard a few things about Stitch Fix before I decided to try out. So I went into it knowing that the clothing would be a little more expensive than I’m used to. I figured that would be easily offset by the fact that I am spending close to nothing on clothing right now.
I also know that some people received clothing that was a perfect match based on their profile and they loved the unique pieces that they received. I also have heard of ladies who receive 5 picks that are off. So I was curious how my experience would be!
Stitch Fix offers pants, skirts, shorts, dresses, sweaters, shirts, outerwear, scarves, jewelry and bags for women. They have maternity and maternity-friendly items. There is also Stitch Fix for men. Gift cards are also available. (This is a great idea in case you know someone who would never order a Fix themselves. It would be a fun treat to get!)
One of the other reasons that I wanted to try Stitch Fix is that I knew I would be sent items I would not normally try on. I know of a few bloggers who have been sent pieces they would not normally try on and ended up loving them! After a few years of cycling through the pregnant, post-pregnant, and non-pregnant body, I figured I could use something fresh and new. :)
Update 11/9/17: Get your styling fee waived!!
I filled out my style profile and then received the box days later.
This is how Stitch Fix works!
- Sign up for a Stitch Fix account.
- Fill out the Style Profile. This helps the stylist learn about your size, style, shape, budget, and lifestyle.
- **Add a note! I added a bit about my life as a stay-at-home mom. I wanted pieces that were comfortable for every day, but more fun than the basics I typically wear. (Or something along those lines). I also mentioned that I would be going to a wedding in September. I was planning on getting a new dress for the wedding, so I figured I would see if they sent me a dress. How slick would that be to have a dress mailed to me that worked for the wedding!
- Select your delivery date. (There is a $20 styling fee. If you keep anything in the box, the $20 will be credited towards the items you keep.)
- Get the box and try everything on!
- Decide what to keep and send everything else back. (They include a prepaid bag to shipping the items back! Way more convenient than my Target returns.)
- Give feedback. If the stylist was off, if the fits were not quite right, or if you loved something, let them know. So if you order another Fix, they will be able to improve on the picks.
Here is what I thought! My Stitch Fix Review:
- Mail Day…I love getting mail. It was fun to see what was included. :)
- I got items I wouldn’t normally try on. This is what I was shooting for!
- The Jeans Fit! This is a PRO for me because it’s a little shocking. I’m very particular with how my jeans fit. I have definitely tried on 10-15 jeans in a store before only to have none of them fit right. I was shocked that they picked jeans that fit almost perfectly. I have heard from others that they love Stitch Fix’s jeans.
- The style profile is very specific and fun to fill out. The items sent matched my style so this system must work!
- They send a card that gives ideas with how to style the piece of clothing. This may be helpful as you figure out what else in your closet with go with the items you pick. You don’t want to end up with one cool new article of clothing only to not have anything to wear with it.
- You don’t have to go to the store. This may not be a PRO for everyone, but for a mom who typically shops with kiddos along…well, I’d just rather skip shopping then.
- Returns are free and easy. I’m all about convenience. It was nice to be able to stick everything back in the bag and put in my mailbox. It just takes a minute and it’s free shipping. If this was not an easy process, I would be done!
- You are giving the opportunity to give feedback on the items received. You rate the size, quality, price, style, and fit/cut. You also can add any comments, which will help the stylist figure out what you like and don’t like.
- You can request a few more days to make your decision. If you haven’t decided within their 3-day window, you can request additional time.
- You can sign up for automatic fixes, but you don’t have to. I like that it doesn’t have to be a subscription service so I don’t have to worry about canceling every month if I don’t want them to send a Fix. I chose to NOT have them sent automatic fixes at this time. (The options are every 2-3 weeks, every month, every other month, every three months, and request only. I picked “request only”)
- The referral program! If you share your link with a friend or family member and they schedule a fix, you get a $25 credit! That could add up quickly and your Fixes will be even more fun if you have a credit waiting for you.
- If you keep all 5 items, you get a 25% discount on the entire box.
- Most of the items were still more than I wanted to spend. This may not be a problem for you, but I typically am very frugal. (I am realizing that sometimes more expensive clothing and shoes last longer! Within reason.) I knew that it would be a bit of a splurge for me, which is fine. BUT it has to be something I really love and am excited about.
- The styling fee. I get why they have the $20 styling fee and it’s nice that it will be credited towards items purchased. It’s not realistic to just have the items picked out and shipping to me without the fee. I get that. But it will hold me back from getting Fixes often. I don’t want to keep clothing that is a tad expensive for me just because I don’t want to lose out on the fee. I also don’t want to spend $20 for nothing. UPDATE 11/9/17: They are running a promotion right now! Get your styling fee waived! Your 1st Styling Fee is waived if you order within 30 days.
- While the styles matched my profile very well, there was one area that completely missed the mark. I preferred one type of fit for shirts and was sent two shirts that were way too flowy and huge. It was not the right style for me. I noted that when I sent it back, so hopefully it would be fixed next time.
- I could have used more color in the items selected. I cannot figure out if this is based on how I filled out my style profile or if the stylist just didn’t get it right. So this is only half a con. I’m not sure who is to blame.
Now here are a few pictures of the items I received! I have never taken a selfie in my life…so you just are getting pictures of the clothing laying on the floor. Sorry…
I loved the pattern on this shirt, but it was way too flowy and huge.
This shirt was close to being a favorite, but like the other shirt it was too flowy and had way too much fabric. It was the most comfortable shirt I have ever tried on though!
I enjoyed getting this box in the mail and it was fun to have the clothing fit my style. I’m looking forward to seeing what is sent the next time I schedule a Fix. I’m hoping the style is still on the mark, but that the fit works out better.
They even have Stitch Fix for Men now.
Have you tried Stitch Fix? What did you think?
Stop by to see where I link-up my posts each week: Link-Up List