My Goals…Why do I set them? Why do I share them here?
- Setting goals helps me remain focused.
- Sharing my goals helps to hold me accountable.
- I hope that it may inspire you to set goals for yourself? Give it a try! Start small if it seems overwhelming or like too much work. Or maybe it seems pointless to you? Give it a shot and see what you think.
Are you new to goal setting? Here are a few posts that may help or inspire you:
- How to Set Goals using Short Challenges and Mini Goals
- How Short Challenges and Mini Goals Work for Me
- One Simple Task to Help You Follow Through On Your Goals
Record my wake-up & bedtimes
July: My goal was to get 7 hours of sleep each night for one week during the month of July. I was hoping that it would feel so wonderful that I would want to continue for longer than a week.
I finally had success in this goal! I didn’t technically get a full 7 hours of sleep every night, but being in bed for 7 hours was close enough for me. (I wasn’t going to make myself count the time it takes to fall asleep or start the 7 days over if one of my girls woke me up during the night.) After my week was done, I continued to keep this habit up most days of the week.
I will give some credit to Sleep It Does a Family Good. It helped ingrain in my head the importance of sleep. Yes, I already was aware of the importance. I just completely ignored it because I preferred to be awake.
The main reason that I went to bed at a decent time was because I forced myself to adjust my alarm clock depending on my bedtime. I knew that if I had to set my alarm for later than 6 AM due to going to bed late, I would miss my alone time before the girls woke up. This was enough motivation to get to bed at a decent time.
If you like your sleep, you probably think all this talk is ridiculous. This actually is a big deal for me! I have wanted to go to bed earlier for years, I just haven’t been able to do it. I am wired to be a night owl and never craved getting into bed.
August: I am not confident enough to take this off my goal list. I am trying to be in bed for 7 hours most nights of the week. I would be happy with 5 nights per week. I am shooting for 11:00 – 6:00.
July: My goal was 11:00. I was turning the computer off between 10 and 10:30 most nights. It’s much easier to wind down and fall asleep if I have time to read before bed.
August: I try will try to be off the computer before 10:30.
July: I continued to read from my NIV Mom’s Devotional Bible* or another devotional. My goal was to read my devotion first thing in the morning at least 5 days a week. I did this in July. It’s the perfect way start my morning off right!
August: Read my devotion first thing in the morning at least 5 days a week. I am trying to do this before I even look at my phone or computer. I just started a study on the Proverbs 31 Woman. I recently downloaded the First 5 app. I love the idea of an app that helps me spend the first 5 minutes of my day with my Savior. I have only read a few days and I am undecided on whether or not the resource is for me. I will try it out for a few days in August.
If you are like me and desire to be intentional with how you spend your mornings, read this post.
June: Read 2 books from my Summer Reading List. Done. I completed 2 books.
Reservations for Two: A Novel of Fresh Flavors and New Horizons
Longing for Paris: One Woman’s Search for Joy, Beauty, and Adventure Right Where She Is is set to release August 4th.
August: Read 1 book.
July: I worked out at least 3 days per week, but did not run as often as I wanted to. My goal was to run twice per week and a few weeks I only ran once. I also wanted to decide whether or not I will be signing up for a fall running road race. I am planning on running a 10 mile road race this fall, but have not yet signed up.
August: Cardio (running or elliptical) – I am increasing this to 4 days per week at minimum. If I am going to run a 10 mile race this fall, I will need to run at least three times per week. Early August I will need to sign up for the race and figure out a training plan.
Weekly “date” night with hubby
July: One movie, game or date night in July. My parents watched the girls so we could walk to a neighborhood restaurant for a drink. I miss taking walks with him. Much of our dating and pre-kiddo marriage years were spent running or walking together. I almost wanted to skip the glass of wine and just walk all evening. We compromised and took the long route to and from the restaurant instead.
August: One movie, game or date night in August. I am hoping it’s a birthday date involving Thai food and a walk around the lakes.
Organize, Declutter, Simplify
July: Pack up & drop off at least 2 bags of clothing and such at Goodwill. Find a few more items to list on ebay or sell on Twice. I listed a few more items on ebay. That is all.
August: I think this one will take be on the back burner in August.
July: Our garden didn’t thrive last summer, so I want to stay on top of it this year. With the exception of our green beans, our garden is looking great. Our tomatoes should be ready for salsa soon!
We also split a CSA this summer and I am enjoying the fresh veggies we get every week. It’s forcing me to come up with new fresh recipes for dinner. Our veggie intake has increased and we are loving it! I make this chocolate zucchini bread every week.
August: Continue in August.
Other July Goals
- Celebrate daughter’s 4th birthday! We didn’t plan a big party, but she still had a wonderful day.
- I did not add more goals in July. I wanted to make sure the girls and I had plenty of time to enjoy summer outdoors.
New August Goals
- Plan for the fall session of my church’s mom group
- Figure out fall “school” plan. I do not believe we will be sending our 4 year old to preschool, but want to figure out a plan for an alternative activity during the week.
- Keep up with Diana Kerr’s Summer Accountability Sisterhood (registration is now closed). I won a scholarship to this group and am excited to be a part of it. We are only one week into the program and I already find it helpful to share three goals with the group each week. I think this group will help me to cross of the small items on my to-do list that I always seem to push off. I am hoping that it will also help me focus on my blog/other business time (see below).
- Enjoy the last month of summer!!
August Blog Goals
- Focus on managing blog/work time. When I started blogging, I soon found out that there are so many ways to be busy with blog work. Some days I have limited or no time on the computer, which is fine because I spend my days with two darling girls! As I thought of my blog/work goals it became apparent that I need to make sure my time on the computer is focused and in line with my goals. I started making changes in July and want to continue to do so in August.
- Virtual Assistant Research – I started some Virtual Assistant work in July and need to work out details with invoicing and such.
Do you make monthly goals? Feel free to link to your August goals in a comment. I enjoy reading goal lists. I find encouragement hearing what others are desiring to focus on.
This post includes affiliate links.
Stop by to see where I link-up my posts each week: Link-Up List